Thursday, September 01, 2011

Tweeting high school football

I decided to revive this blog because even though I started it last year, I never really did anything with it, but I believe that the merging of journalism and technology is more relevant a topic now than it was a year ago.

Case in point, tonight I was tweeting the score of the South Hills-Colony game in the San Gabriel Valley. I'm pretty beat, five hours ago I was sitting in the press box at Covina District Field, awaiting the start of the game between the Huskies and the Titans, and taking in the magic that is the fresh start of a new season.

However, after driving back to the newsroom to construct a game story and waiting on editors to proof and post the article online, I have grown weary. It has been a long hot day.

I also have to say that I am pretty rusty covering games, even though it is starting to come back to me, this wasn't the best structured story, but I am hoping that I get better as the new season progresses. It has been a year since I was filing weekly stories for the Tribune.

Tweeting the score of the game on a quarter by quarter basis proved to be both a challenge on my smartphone and a novelty. I found it kind of hard to find a pause between the action to log into my account and tweet, though after the first time it was easier because I was already logged in and feeding directly to the newspaperls blog.

I am wondering how many journalists are now doing this on a frequent basis? Tomorrow I am going to be taking photos and covering the Glendora vs. Charter Oak game at Citrus College for patch.com and I believe I will try the Twitter experiment once again. There is something very appealing about using social media to our advantage and getting the word out immediately to the readership and to the communities we serve.

The home team lost 30-29. You can't win them all as the saying goes.

No comments: